NOVA Chemicals Debuts Recycle-Ready Resins for Packaging
New suite of resins designed to pair with recycled content without diminishing quality
Resins also retain physical properties after mechanical recycling
Calgary, Alberta, Canada (Oct. 16, 2019) – NOVA Chemicals Corporation (NOVA Chemicals) a leading supplier of polyethylene, has introduced a suite of recycle-ready octene and butene LLDPE resins for packaging applications.
These resins are engineered to offer two significant benefits that help build markets for post-consumer polyethylene products:
• As virgin resins, each can be used in packaging film structures in combination with a high percentage of recycled content
• After mechanical recycling, the resins retain balanced physical properties, excellent processability and optimal product protection
Used in their virgin state, the resins compensate for often degraded physical performance of recycled content in film structures, suppressing odor up to 80% and improving optics up to 15%. When repurposed multiple times through mechanical recycling, the resins retain or improve their key physical performance properties, enabling reuse in applications such as stretch film, stand up pouch, multipack collation shrink and heavy duty sack. Notable benefits seen with this suite of resins after recycling include improved melt flow retention for film extrusion and reduction in oxidation over time, as well as continued odor and optics improvement.
“NOVA Chemicals is helping advance a circular plastics economy through optimized polyethylene products,” said Mark Kay, performance films group manager, NOVA Chemicals. “By enabling the use of greater recycled content with our resins, we are increasing overall market demand for recyclate, while helping converters and brand owners to achieve their sustainability goals.”
The new suite of recycle-ready resins includes:
• VPs412-A — an octene polyethylene sealant with high caulkability for fast sealing and fast setting
• VPsK914-A/C — an ultra-durable octene polyethylene performance sealant for high-speed packaging lines
• SPsK919-C/F — an exceptional abuse resistant octene polyethylene resin for heavy duty applications
• SPs116-C/D — an all-purpose, ultra-versatile performance octene polyethylene resin to replace conventional mLLDPEs
• FP120-CE — an octene polyethylene resin with high toughness and strength as well as easy processability
• FG220-A — an octene polyethylene resin with exceptional toughness—an ideal workhorse for cast film
• PF-0118-FI — a butene polyethylene resin with exceptional toughness and strength over conventional butene LLDPEs
The development of these new recycle-ready resins is the result of NOVA Chemicals’ ongoing research to advance the circular economy. In May of 2019, NOVA Chemicals presented original research on the performance of recycle-ready resins in flexible film applications over several cycles of mechanical recycling. For more information on the recycle-ready resins and film-to-film recycling research, visit NOVA Chemicals at K-Fair in Hall 6, Stand A43.
Our recycle ready-resins retain their physical properties through multiple cycles of recycling.
About NOVA Chemicals Corporation
NOVA Chemicals develops and manufactures chemicals and plastic resins that make everyday life healthier, easier and safer. Our employees work to ensure health, safety, security and environmental stewardship through our commitment to sustainability and Responsible Care®. NOVA Chemicals, headquartered in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, is wholly-owned ultimately by Mubadala Investment Company of the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
About NOVA Chemicals Polyethylene Business
The NOVA Chemicals polyethylene business enables its customers’ success with a portfolio of more than 125 specialized SURPASS®, SCLAIR® and NOVAPOL® resins. Each new NOVA Chemicals resin is developed to meet customer requirements, from drop-in consistency to step-out performance attributes. Our customer-centric approach drives our business.
# # #
The NOVA Chemicals logo and NOVAPOL are registered trademarks of NOVA Brands Ltd.; authorized use/utilisation autorisée. SURPASS and SCLAIR are registered trademarks of NOVA Chemicals Corporation in Canada and of NOVA Chemicals (International) S.A. elsewhere; authorized use/utilisation autorisée. BONFIRE is a registered service mark of NOVA Chemicals Corporation.
Responsible Care is a registered trade mark of the Chemistry Industry Association of Canada.
Media inquiries, please contact:
Trade Media Relations